Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Starbucks Snobbery

I don't like Starbucks. I was keenly reminded of this fact today when I met Aaron for breakfast at the Starbucks in Kennett. I nervously approached the order counter knowing full well what was about to transpire. The lady taking orders asked what I wanted and "Green tea, please" was my response. She stared back at me for five seconds with the most dumbfounded expression on her face. You would have thought I was having dinner at the White House and had asked for a hot dog. "What kind of green tea?" she said with a certain smugness indicating that I clearly did not belong there among the rest of the social elite. "Ah, I don't know. Just regular green tea I guess" was the best I could muster and stammer out. She rattled something off with what an order for regular green tea should actually sound like and I happily moved down the line to fork over my $1.50 for something that was probably worth $0.25.

I may not have the sophisticated class necessary to properly formulate an order at Starbucks, but at least as Hank Jr said, "A country boy can survive."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, a country music reference from YOU???

- Patrick

Jeff the Baptist said...

Hank Williams huh? Wow you must be feeling a lot more Stevie Ray today.

Next time just bring your own tea bag and as for hot water. Uh.. Venti or whatever. That'll show them.

Or just get hot chocolate. With whipped cream on top. Or go to Dunkin' Donuts.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I totally agree! It is intimadating and if I don't know how to order, the entire line of people behind me seem to snicker or roll their eyes with the staff, who I thoughts was supposed to help the customer...hmmm....I think it's a type of cult....

Paula said...

I think there is a simple answer to this problem. You people live in Delaware. You're close to New Jersey. People there are rude. Starbucks people are only rude because that is where they live. Starbucks in Charlotte is awesome.

Don't worry about the sizes. Just order small, medium, and large. The Barista's will translate it for you.

When it doubt next time order: a peppermint mocha (that has chocolate) or a latte (just milk)

Anonymous said...

"Don't worry about the sizes. Just order small, medium, and large. The Barista's will translate it for you."

Ignoring your other comments, yeah, that's the way to go about it.

I like BrewHaha!, personally. Central Perk isn't too shabby, either.

Eugene said...

Steve,

Are you going to join Roger in the Starbucks revolt? I would have to say not all Starbucks are bad. There are some Starbucks in other states like NC (in Greensboro) and Glen Mills, PA that are really cool.

-Eugene

Joe said...

Starbuck's coffee sucks. The secret to their robust flavor -- they burn the beans. How very cosmopolitan.

I second Jeff's suggestion. Go to Dunkin'; in my opinion, they have the best quality coffee. Of have Aaron over to your place and save the 800% mark up.