Friday, September 08, 2006

I hate the Eagles

With the NFL season underway, it's time to speak my peace. I hate the Philadelphia Eagles. Actually, it's not so much the Eagles I dislike so much as it is their fans. (Sorry, Jesse.) It's a rare feat for a person to be both arrogant and whiny at the same time and yet that is one of the most common characteristics of those dawning the green and white. Whether the team is undefeated or has yet to win a game, their fans NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT. And how is that in a city of 5 million people with meaningful world events happening, Eagles coverage gets like 1/3 to 1/2 the news coverage? Heaven forbid there be a snowstorm and an Eagle game in the same weekend or nothing else will get covered. And don't even get me started on that stupid chant. I'm sorry, are you attending a junior high school pep rally? The rest of the world has grown up. You should too.

Look, to the meager extent that I do follow football, I am a Browns fan. Yes, they suck. I'm okay with that. If they lose every game this year my life will go on quite nicely. It's this wonderful thing called "perspective." Something Philadelphia sports fans don't seem to have much of.

Oh, and I refuse to go see the movie "Invincible".

5 comments:

Paula said...

YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY!

FINALLY! I hate the Eagles more than anything. Actually, I hate their precious Donovan. He went to Syracuse. Syracuse sucks. Big Least indeed. T.O. was hilarious. He was just telling the truth and people didn't want to hear it.

As a Virginia Tech alumni and a native of Charlotte, my first love will always be Michael Vick... go Falcons!!! After that I suppose I'll root for the Panthers.

I turned against the Eagles when they played the Panthers in the playoffs a few years back and every Philadelphia radio station decided to refer to all southerners as "toothless rednecks." I'll have you know that I have a full set of teeth. I am also not a redneck. From my observations, all the rednecks are in New Jersey. There is nothing worse than a rich redneck from New Jersey driving down to Charlotte with a Confederate flag on the back of their monster sized RV to have summer vacation at the NASCAR track.

But I digress. Eagles suck. Steve is great. May God bless the Virginia Tech Hokies tomorrow as we stomp UNC.

Anonymous said...

The sad thing is, I know at least one Eagles fan who is actually a good guy. It's a shame that the fans are as bad as they are. A guy from the steel shop I worked in once told me his little broher got cursed out by an Eagles fan, and the kid wasn't even wearing the jersey of the two teams that were playing...

I think Philadelphians merely use the Eagles to vent their quasi-angst on the world :D

Steve Lamp said...

Yeah, I did cast too wide of a net with stereotyping. Certainly, not ALL Eagles fans are that obnoxious, and I have a number of intelligent, reasonable friends who are Eagles fans. But, I would still content that as a whole, most are exasperatingly obnoxious.

Paula said...

I still think they're pretty ALL obnoxious. I don't find this to be worthless stereotyping at all.

mmahaffie said...

I can't say that I hate the Eagles, or thir fans, but I am often irked by their wining games against my Redskins. I think the message here is that, even if we are fans, and love our teams, a hint pf perspective is needed. It's just a game.