Thursday, April 05, 2007

Invasion of the Opinionated

I have noticed a new feature on some of the websites I frequently visit, such as CNN and ESPN. After the main article, there is now room for feedback and opinions from readers. Often the space provided for everyone's opinion is greater than the article itself. This is an interesting phenomenon. On one hand it is the democratization of the media enabled by technology. On the other hand, it's just a bunch of opinionated loud mouths spouting out previously held convictions and emotions. I suspect few people thoughtfully read and consider the claims of the original writer; they are much too eager to express their own opinions and counter-arguments, and we end up with duelling monologues rather than a helpful conversation. Granted, we have always had Letters to the Editor in newspapers, but this is different because it provides more of a real time and side by side expression and more space is devoted to it. I tend to find this somewhat annoying. Look, if you want to spout off your opinion, get a blog. What is it that gives a person's opinion credibility in this postmodern world?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't need actual credibility anymore - all that matters is that you "feel strongly" about something, and that makes your opinion important, regardless of the facts...
- Patrick

Erin said...

I know what you mean. I read bbc.com for most of my news. It's amuzing the kinds of comments that the rest of the world will make too!

Anonymous said...

"What is it that gives a person's opinion credibility in this postmodern world?"

You said it right there. "Post Modern". Post modernism is all about one's personal opinion.

The instantaneous response of the internet is something of a problem. You have to mull it over a little before you send in an Editorial (though people do still send in some of the most stupid things I've ever seen in an editorial). The internet is a lot of knee-jerk reaction.

As a rule, I try my best to think before I can respond.

Joe said...

I like cheese!!