Sunday, March 11, 2007

Most Overrated

At lunch we were discussing some of our most favorite and most hated songs and artists. I would like to introduce another category: most over-rated. These are artists which, in my opinion, may have a good song or two here and there but are simply not as great as everyone says they are. My apologies ahead of time to all the loyal fans of these bands that I will be offending. I'm glad you enjoy them; they just don't do anything for me.
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Beatles
  • The Eagles
  • Dave Matthews
  • Billy Joel
  • Elton John
  • Lynrd Skynrd

In a musically related event, I have another pet peeve. Okay, so I admit I listen to some country music occasionally. But this may stop because the Philadelphia country music station (92.5 - XTU) will occasionally over-write songs with local references. For instance, on Teri Clark's "I Want To Do It All" they turn the line "see the Yankees play ball" into "see the Eagles play ball". Um, excuse me, I don't like the Yankees but at least they are a storied, epic franchise in a historic stadium. You have your annoying "E-A-G-L-E-S" chant; you don't need to be editing songs to make them about yourself. There is another song "Tim McGraw" by Talyor Sift and the line is edited from "you turn the radio on" to "you turn XTU on". And most recently, they changed the line to another new song which I do not know the name or artist to to "when the Phillies lose." What is up with that? Look, no one is going to write a song about the Eagles, the Phillies or the Philadelphia country music station. Leave these poor songs alone. Is this copyright infringement or are the artists openly pandering to what they hope will be a naive local audience?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some bands are over rated, yeah. Some aren't. It boils down to personal taste.

I like the Stones. I have actually been surprised by how 'southern' they sound in some of their music. kind of annoying, actually. No offense, Paula ;) .

That, and they write about sex too damn much.

Anonymous said...

"The Stones. I love the Stones. Listen to them whenever I can. Fred and Barney" - as said by Steven Wright

- Patrick

gergandnique said...

I agree completely about the stones. I never saw the hype in them. Steve - I accept your apology regarding Dave Matthews and Billy Joel. I personally think they redefined the sound their instrument (guitar and piano respectively) created.

I also agree that it is ok for the artist to change the lyrics during a concert enviroment, but not for the radio station. Play the song the way it was intended.

Greg

Steve Lamp said...

That's a good point. I agree with the nuance that a song can be changed in concert but not on radio airplay. May it be so enacted in all of Lamponia.

Erin said...

Dude... whatever!

Steve Lamp said...

What do you mean "whatever"?

Anonymous said...

Funny thing, country music gets a bad rep up here.

I have heard some good ones, but too much yodeling for my taste. The accent combined with the singing style just doesn't do it for me. Except maybe Charlie Daniels :) .

Also, I just don't have time to explore the million genres of music I am interested in, let alone the ones I'm not wild about. For example, I kinda like tecno/rave music, but don't know anything about it. So I twiddle my thumbs and listen to The Who instead.

Speaking of overrated bands, compared to The Who, almost every band is overrated. The Who are just straight up awesome. The worst Who album I have kicks the snot out of the best Rolling Stones album I have, and I like the Stones quite a bit.

I feel that The Who aren't hyped too much, but if they are, I feel they totally deserve it. I mean, c'mon, they made Pinball Wizard.

Seguaying into Pinball Wizard, when are you and me going to learn that song so we can rock out, become filthy rich, famous, and have swarms of hot groupies fighting over our worn out, cast off clothes?

Erin said...

By "whatever," I mean that if you can't understand why a lot of these bands are as great as they are, then you might not understand the meaning of rock and roll. Please refer to Jack Black's character in the film School of Rock for a thorough explanation of the genre. Thank you.

Steve Lamp said...

Uh-oh. I thought School of Rock was overrated too.

Anonymous said...

You know WHY the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and The Who are loved so much, Steve? Because EVERY rock band owes them. THose three bands started it all. Yeah, you had Elvis, but those three bands are at the very roots of all rock, musically and inspirationally. Sort of like how Haydn was the father of all of the Classical Era themes that Mozart and Beethoven used to great effect, or how The Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin was the beginning of blues & swing music.


So this is something that all of you 'contemporary rockers' totally ignore and forget about, and that's what gets the classic rockers' panties in a wad.

Just so you know.

Anonymous said...

That, and those "Overrated" bands did almost everything before everyone else. Little of the contemporary material is fresh and new the way that these bands were when it was their time. The difference is that SOME new bands do what they did better, either technically (ie. musicianship), or in a way that just happens to tickle you more than the forefathers of what you are listening to.