Saturday, January 05, 2008

Distressing Object Lessons

So last Sunday Karl started a new class on the book of Jeremiah. One of the things that struck me is that Jeremiah's life was to be an object lesson for Judah's relationship with God. Hence, he couldn't mourn at funerals, couldn't celebrate at weddings, couldn't marry and so on as a picture of what was happening and about to happen to the nation. I never really made the connection before, but that's a pretty common theme for the prophets. Hosea of course has to marry a prostitute and give rather unpopular names to their children. Ezekiel has to do a bunch of rather odd activities and most sadly God kills his wife.

The word of the LORD came to me: "Son of man, with one blow I am about to take away from you the delight of your eyes. Yet do not lament or weep or shed any tears. Groan quietly; do not mourn for the dead. Keep your turban fastened and your sandals on your feet; do not cover the lower part of your face or eat the customary food of mourners ." So I spoke to the people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died. The next morning I did as I had been commanded. - Ezekiel 24:15-18


It's hard to wrap my mind around that sometimes. Talk about life not being fair. It gives me a deeper level of appreciation for the prophets.

No comments: