Saturday, December 06, 2008

Running Start to a Resolution

So I have been pondering my New Years Resolutions today. My intent is to start to work them out now in the weeks leading up to the new year. I like to make new year's resolutions because it helps me refocus on things that are important, and it is a fresh attempt at retraining the habits of my mind, heart and body. I understand that no mystical transformations take place simply because the last digit of my calendar changes. I do not wake on January 1st with any more discipline and willpower than I had on December 31st. But we all need opportunities to clean the slate and start over. It is part of our sanctification to step back, consider our lives, and see if there is "any harmful way in me."

I am trying to draft my resolutions in both broad categories with smaller "SMART" goals. So, instead of just saying, "I want to eat healthier and get into shape" my goals are to "Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables every day." and to "Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week."

What do you want in 2009?

2 comments:

Eugene said...

Way to go Steve. What would I like? Perhaps clarity of where God would have me dive into next. In the fitness goals, I'd like to complete a 10k.

Quebecca said...

I want to eat healthier and get into shape.