Sunday, February 22, 2009

In Dreams I Walk With You

So I had this other crazy dream last night which also makes me think maybe I've been working too much. It started because I was having a discussion with a co-worker, Matt, about how much space in the bathrooms is devoted to toilets and I felt there should be more room for cots to sleep on. My old college dormmate, Ty was there. Afterwards, I ended up at my parents house in Ohio where my friend from Delaware, Mei-ling, was dogsitting for my parents. In addition to the dog that my parents actually have, there was a husky and some other breed. She was surprised to see me there. Then, after walking up some steps with my pastor Karl and friend Noel, I somehow was at this summer camp with some other co-workers. Susan was mad because Frank ate her food, and someone wanted me to intervene which I reluctantly did but Frank was unrepentant. Then, in the basement, my friends Jake and Rita were there laying on cots, but the A/C was out so everyone was in their swimsuits and sweating profusely. I ended up again in the bathrooms and woke up.

So, as I was discussing with some friends from church today, do all dreams have meanings? How do dream experts derive consistent meanings in the interpretations of dreams? How can you tell if your dream is expressive of deeper internal concerns or if it's just a random conglomeration of people and events?

2 comments:

Mei-Ling said...

For the record - I prefer cat sitting. But I've sat for dogs that wouldn't sit for me.

I think some dreams are just random firings of synapses.

But, I had a weird dream a couple of weeks ago about an electrical fire (started by unplugged kitchen appliances of all things) at a home where I've never been. The house belonged to a man I've only laid eyes on twice, but never got a name. I think the fire was related more to the rash of arsons in Coatesville, and the electrical aspect probably because of Ruth's run-in with Verizon's "skilled" Fios technicians.

I did tell a person who is a friend of the man about it due to my own pure superstition.

I do find it strangely meta that you want more sleep (cots for naps) while you are, indeed, asleep. Perhaps you could coing a new term - Metasleep - sleep about sleep.

Speaking of which, I'm about two hours past when I ought to be doing that.

Paula said...

I really believe that dreams do mean something and there has been lots of psychological research done on this.

It's also entirely possible that you just needed to pee really bad in your dream and thus dreamt a lot about toilets.