Thursday, April 16, 2009

Religion or Relationship

Recently I have been impacted by the dearth of my "relationship" with God. I mean, I'm going through the motions and all, but it has felt more like participating in arms-length transactions with an institution than engaging in an ongoing, interactive relationship. And so, upon receiving some needed exhortation, I am examining this more carefully. I am utilizing this forum to discuss it as I hope that others out there might help me in this process with their thoughts, reflections and probing questions.

I am starting things by turning to a source that has so often helped me in the past, Dallas Willard. In this case, I am re-reading "Hearing God." I was particularly struck by one statement in the first chapter,
"In the last analysis nothing is more central to the practical life of the Christian than confidence in God's individual dealings with each person."
Dang. That hit the nail on the head; that is right where the struggle is for me.

What does the relational aspect of faith look like in experience? When is it safe to say "God spoke to me" and when is it just conscience, circumstance and our own desires and perceptions? I have always been suspicious and wary of people who try to add to the credibility and authority of their arguments by claiming divine authorship of their ideas. Perhaps I am jaded by experiences in which people who have said "they have been praying about it and think this is God's will" typically followed that statement by either breaking up with me or asking for money.

But I have swung to far in the other direction. I found myself being described in unflattering terms by Dallas:

Our need for understanding is clearly very great. We are all too familiar with the painful confusion of individuals who make big efforts to determine God's will for them - people who are frequently very sincere and devout. We see them make dreadful errors following a whim or chance event that because of their desperation, they force to serve as a sign from God. We see them sink into despair, skepticism, even cynicism, often accompanied by a continuation of religious routine now utterly mechanical and dead. They 'know' on the basis of what has happened to them, that for all practical purposes they are simply on their own.
But I was comforted and encouraged by his First Steps Toward a Solution.

I believe we, as disciples of Jesus Christ, cannot abandon faith in our ability to hear from God. To abandon this is to abandon the reality of a personal relationship with God, and that we must not do. Our hearts and minds, as well as the realities of the Christian tradition stand against it. The paradox about hearing God's voice must, then, be resolved and removed by providing believers with a clear understanding and a confident, practical orientation toward God's way of guiding us and communicating with us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a most interesting posting, Steve.

From a relationship perspective, it is much like a spousal relationship: it ebbs and flows. Sometimes the two of you are really in sync, and at other times you're just two people together and doing your own thing. And just because it isn't "heavenly" all the time doesn't mean that the relationship is over. At times it seems that it IS about going through the motions, but that is part of that love relationship as well.

The one big difference that I see with the God relationship is that He never "goes through the motions" with you. That perfect "partner" is always waiting for you to return to the intimate but also gives the space to let things be motion-going at times.

In both people and God relationship, I suspect it might be the willingness to recognize the motion-going times and to speak to the other person (God) about it and ask for help in changing that to being more into it again.

PS: As for the divine guidance to break up, that just sucks. I'm not sure that God tells anyone to break up. It's the PERSON who doesn't feel the relationship is a life-long companionship type. God might confirm by not making them feel a break-up would be the wrong thing, but ultimately the person has to own the break-up.

Paula said...

I agree with Sir Thomas on the breaking up issue. I would never say that to anyone. You can't blame God as your reason for breaking up with someone. As for the rest of this post, I'm not sure what to do with that.