Thursday, February 16, 2012

Perelandra

I was captivated this week reading Perelandra, especially chapters 12 and 13 in which Ransom realizes that Maledil has chosen him to battle and defeat the Un-man and the vastness of the stakes at hand.  I could empathize with the character facing a battle that seems ridiculously beyond him.
"When," he asked, "did I ever win a fight in all my life?"
I took away a few things from this read.  One goes along with a theme we discussed in lifegroup a few weeks ago when we looked at Mark 4:1-20. How should you approach life differently knowing that you have a spiritual adversary intent on obstructing and destroying the work God is doing in your life?  The proceeding chapters present the enemy volleying lie after lie (or, perhaps more accurately, half-truths) to the Lady, attempting to wear down her confidence in what she knew was right and good.  Do I take time to be alert and aware of how that might be happening to me?

The second thing it left me with, as alluded to at the beginning, was the desire to be part of a meaningful fight.  I feel so insulated by a life of comfort and convenience that I do not even know what that might look like for me.  Where am I to stand in the gap and protect the innocent?

No comments: