Wednesday, December 19, 2007

High On The List Of Things I Don't Care About

So I was watching the news this morning with my parents and one of the top stories was that Brittney Spear's young teenage sister is pregnant.

Um, I don't care.

The fact that the teenage birth rate increased last year for the first time in 15 years is something I am concerned about. The fact that the percentage of all U.S. births to unmarried mothers increased to 38.5% is also a concern. You probably didn't hear those numbers on the news though did you? Because nothing in this country matters unless it happens to a celebrity.

We don't care about unwed mothers and teenage pregnancy unless it happens to someone famous. We don't care about relief work in Asia and Africa unless it's done by Angelina Jolie or Nicole Kidman.

I couldn't tell from watching the news this morning how millions of teenage girls in this country are coping with unexpected pregnancies, if there has been progress in Darfur or how many people in Iraq have electricity. But I know that Britney Spear's sister is pregnant.

"And judge you from the card-castle comfort of America." - Incubus

God help us.

11 comments:

David Hynes said...

And you wonder why I don't watch the news anymore.

I'm tellin' you man...get the needle out of your arm. I am definitely enjoying my Media free life.

Anonymous said...

I happened to see an article on that as well. One quote that had me laughing (and co-workers looking at me funny) was her comment (from memory) that this was totally unexpected. Duh? Later in the article she did admit something along the lines of she realized that was a potential consequence of her actions. Whatever happened to doing dumb stuff that didn't have such major live-altering consequences?

Paula said...

This also raises the question of "Where were her parents?" Apparently, they let their sixteen year old daughter move in with her nineteen year old boyfriend. What did they think they were going to be doing?

David said...

Playing patty-cake?

Anonymous said...

So true Steve. Why do we care about one person so much? Why thes people that end up on the news. Yes, what is happening in other countries, what is happening in our own country? Why can't we get "just the news ma'am!" anymore!? I don't want the spin, the celebs, the tinsel that glitters but isn't worth itself in money!

Jeff the Baptist said...

Yup, her mom was too busy writing a book on how to be a good mother than she forgot to actually be one.

David Hynes said...

Hence the reason why I do not bother with the Media in any format. It has gotten to the point with me where I figure when something IMPORTANT happens, people will mention it.

I don't have the energy to sift through the news for useful information any more, and I don't trust the news to tell me everything that they know- or to present the whole picture.

Erin said...

Curious, Steve... Did the article on teen pregnancies and unwed mothers mention anything about teenage or unwed fathers? These girls and women don't get pregnant on their own.

Steve Lamp said...

The NIH article was more just a summary of statistical findings; what I briefly read did not provide much commentary on the issue and its social implications.

Paula said...

A few more things . . .

1. I highly recommend that you watch the HBO (I'm sure someone in Kairos has it, dare they admit it were so) special "Sand & Sorrow" about Darfur. My Dad and I both watched it and really liked it. It's very informative but also quite sad.

2. Erin, my favorite comment of all, as usual.

3. David, again, not watching the news just means you are utterly uninformed. You aren't some champion for avoiding stupidity because you don't watch the news. I don't know how you think this is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Have any of you prayed for her or her family?