Saturday, May 31, 2008

Critics Corner

I am sure I will raise the ire of applauding loyal fans, but I thought the new Indiana Jones movie was terrible. I am far from being a well versed movie aficionado, but I might rank it among the ten worst movies I have ever seen. Seriously, if it wasn't called Indiana Jones, I don't think anyone would go see it. Admittedly I was not a huge fan of the original trilogy, but this was just bad. I will refrain from mentioning any details in courtesy of those who might still want to see it. Or, you could just give me the $10 and I'll save you two hours of your life that you will never get back.

I also recently saw Prince Caspian. Even though it deviated significantly in parts from the book, it was still enjoyable to watch and I thought it was nearly on par with the first movie.

3 comments:

David Hynes said...

I need to see this movie now. I haven't heard anybody say it is the best thing since sliced bred- so far the reviews I heard from people have gone from "Not the best Indy movie but worthy of the title" to "horrible wast of time" (that would be your contribution, Steve :D).

Contrary to your opinion about the Chronicles movie, the deviation from the book in terms of the events and their order I found annoying...but even more so was the Disney Channel romance that occurred. As soon as Susan and Caspian exchanged those signature "We will be involved in a romance at some point soon" looks, I was like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I mean, thank goodness it didn't ruin the movie, but as soon as I saw it coming I was very annoyed... I think there was like a 5-7 year age gap in the book!

Hopefully Voyage of the Dawn Treader will be closer to canon... that was my favorite, so if it is not, I shall be very sad.

But Reepicheep was as awesome in the movie as he was in the book. His voice wasn't quite what I expected, but it worked well. Luv you Reepicheep!

I also liked the actor who did Miraz (he really did a good job)...and the whole Spanish conquistador take they did on the Telmarines. I did like that little change, that was cool.

One thing I noticed about the movie was they aren't using big name actors or anything, and I think that's pretty cool. Funnily enough, I haven't seen the first movie, I need to see it. I heard it was better.

Leeam Neilson as Aslan's voice didn't seem to fit at first, but then I realized that's because it's basically impossible to imitate God's voice... God sounds quite unique!

Anonymous said...

I won't agree that it is one of the 10 worst ever - there are much, much worse out there. You just had to accept it as a fun, light action adventure movie. I read someplace that one of the ideas of the movies is to make them similar to ideas in movies that were popular during the era in which they are set. So the original 3 (and #1 is one of the best ever made, followed closely by #3) refer to mysticism and religious artifacts and so forth; this one, set in the 50s, refers to things that were talked about during that time: the Red Scare, psychics, Area 51, that kind of stuff.

- Patrick

Paula said...

Three cheers for any man who hated Indy 3.