Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hey, let's change the world!

I guess one of the ideals I hope to achieve in this blog is to become an effective advocate. One of my deepest areas of concern is extreme global poverty. Did you know that according to CARE, "Every minute of every day, somewhere in the world, 21 children die of malnutrition and preventable diseases. Even when it doesn't kill, chronic malnutrition can cause blindness, deformities and brain damage"? As a Christian, I believe we have a clear responsibility to actively address this need. It seems to me that we can not claim that we love Christ and at the same time be indifferent to those in desperate need. (Matt 25:31-46, 1 John 4:11-21). Yet, as a whole, we give so little. Would you consider joining me in helping those who need tangible expressions of our love? For more information, please see the following organizations that I personally contribute towards:


Other very helpful agencies to consider are:

Recommended reading:

  • The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs
  • Living High and Letting Die by Peter Unger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Steve! You know there are a bunch of us that enjoy hearing what you have to say and expressing what's going on in that mind of yours! I look forward to reading many more blogs and to be challenged by your thoughts. JenVare

Erin said...

Yes, we look forward to reading your thoughts, but you have to write them down first.