Saturday, September 20, 2008

Healthcare

Stand back world, I have a plan to help fix healthcare. Ready for this? I think we should add a "sin tax" to fast food. Every fat, greasy, unhealthy Big Mac and Whopper I eat should cost me an extra 5%. Back in 2001, Americans spent $110 billion on fast food. I'm sure it's only gone up since then. And, federal spending on SCHIP programs in 2007 was $5 billion. So, in one fell swoop I have doubled our spending on health coverage for poor children while at the same providing an incentive for Americans to eat healthier food which should bring down the actual amount spent on healthcare.

Oh, and maybe healthcare premiums should be adjusted based on our actual, managble risk factors, like they're doing in Alabama.

4 comments:

Paula said...

I agree with that. Fat is a big part of why we're in a health care crisis in the first place. We wouldn't need to do as much about health care if people would just stop eating EVERYTHING.

I'm pleased to see that you are undecided. I'm glad that you will at least struggle with casting a vote for McCain (which I anticipate you inevitably will).

Jeff the Baptist said...

The fast food tax has been proposed. Then it's pointed out that this adversely effects the poor more than the rich (because fast food is also cheap) and it's usually tabled.

Basing health insurance cost on risk factors, like you do with driving, is a great idea.

Paula said...

My life insurance policy was based on my driving record . . . there was an increase.

David Hynes said...

BRILLIANT. But guess how many people would shout it down by claiming that it hurts the middle and lower class, who "can't afford to eat anything else"?