Sunday, November 23, 2008

Marathon

Today I enjoyed the great thrill of watching my friend Jacob complete the Philadelphia Marathon. It was an amazing achievement, all the more so for having been ran on a frigidly cold day with pain for the latter part of the race and in still just 3 hours and 30 minutes.

Two things stood out to me most. One was that I experienced a newfound understanding and appreciation for Hebrews 12:1.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
The other is being shown yet again the great strength, courage and determination that resides in my friend.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

2 comments:

Ty Waardenburg said...

Hey I see that Lamponian Wisdom is still up and running and that you linked me, thanks! Things are really TOUGH here, it is a culture that is not enthusiastic at all about evangelical Christians, must be all those years without a world series (just kidding!) We will be looking to do new strategies next semester to try more creative ways to develop opportunities to create meaningful dialogue with students. We will be trying to do different events around social and global justice themes that can not only accomplish some good but also give a greater vision to students of what Christianity is about as well as creating opportunites to build relationships and dialogue with students. Since you have so many links to relief agencies, you will have to let me know of any good options. Things we may do is a two weeks of sacrifice campaign for bloodwater mission, we are selling tote bags made by Indian women who were able to get out of the sex industry called FreeSet, there is another group I am looking into that makes some kind of tents for refugees in Darfur. Anything where we can bring in student involvement is really helpful. I hope you got the Johnny Estrada bobblehead I sent you, I know he's no omar vizquel!

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for supporting Jacob in the race and braving the cold yourself. Kudos to Jacob for training and finishing the race - I sure don't see myself doing that anytime soon - ok - really not in my lifetime! Way to go!