Thursday, June 28, 2007

Anniversary

Today is my parents' wedding anniversary. I think it's 33 years now. I feel like one of the lucky few in my generation who have seen their parents live out a healthy and loving marriage relationship. I have heard them mention that they are the last ones left from the friends of their youth who are still on their first marriage. All of the others have gone through at least one divorce, many more than one. My parents have really set a great example. There have been tough times and they have faced many of the same stresses and demands (and probably more) that others have faced only they remained faithful towards each other and kept going and weathered out the passing storms. And it's not one of those relationships where they're just playing out the string until the game's over. They're still very much in love and have a profound respect for one another. Last winter for instance, my dad would go over to my mom's workplace when she was working evenings to warm up her car and walk her out when her shift was over so that she was safe and could hop into a nice warm car. He still writes her little love notes. They love playing cards together, taking their collie for a walk in the park and playing with their grandchildren (my sister's three kids). What can I say? I'm learning from the best. Thanks mom and dad. I love you!

2 comments:

jenvare said...

CRAP! Yesterday was MY parents' anniversary... 1970 - 37 years! I need to call them tonight and give them a REALLY nice card on Saturday. You're a good son Steve for remembering your parents' anniversary. I too feel and know that I am blessed to have parents who have remained true to the promise they made to each other 37 years ago. It's something I take for granted.

Anonymous said...

That's cool man. Never underestimate how great it is to have parents that are still together and still love and respect each other- living without it makes life incredibly difficult, even when you become an "adult" as I am.