Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Certain Danger of I-Pods

So, I went for about an hour walk/hike around the park near my apartment yesterday. In the middle of this, I noticed something was kind of off. It was that I was disconnected from my environment. The birds were noisily chirping and wind was blowing through the tree tops but I wasn't really experiencing it becaus I was listening to my I-pod. I had to turn it off for a few minutes and simply take in the environment around me.

Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love my i-pod. I just realized how much the technology isolates me not only from the people around me but from my natural environment.

Tonight I went for another walk but I left my I-pod at home. The silence helped me to pray and to think through some things that were vaguely floating around undefined in my mind. I think I also noticed the fireflys and Venus much earlier than I otherwise would have.

It's a good blend to enjoy both music and silence.

2 comments:

Jeff the Baptist said...

Yeah, if I go to the gym my MP3 player is a handy addition. But if I go for a walk or a run outside, I generally leave it at home. If nothing else I want to hear the cars coming.

Anonymous said...

While headphones are nearly constantly on (low) at work, I can't allow myself to choose to run with headphones -- just a boombox on my shoulder. Oh, wait ...

Aside from trying it in high school and finding it to be enjoyable but still lacking & wanting I've never looked back.

Similar to what I shared from Bonhoeffer last Sun. at Kairos:
While out running, I find it's no longer only difficult to meet someone's eyes, but now even ears are becoming isolated for a simple "have a good run" or "good afternoon". I've gotten to the point where I seldom even try anymore when I see wires hanging from someone's ears.

Even - when passing - offering the courtesy: "on your left" seems to be wasted as the iSolated iPodded runner gets startled as I pass.

All that to say:
SL, I agree. It seems to diminish the experience, lessening the overall quality. Perhaps in this, also, we are too easily pleased. Though it gives the burden & challenge of exercise a tasty sugar coating, maybe it dulls the senses a little too much ... perhaps echoing a little of what Braveheart portrayed in Wallace's refusal of something that would distract him from needed clarity of thought.

AA