Saturday, June 23, 2007

Not Exactly Warm Fuzzies

This morning's reading from The Imitation of Christ:

And yet, what great matter is it, if you, who are but dust and nothing, subject yourself to a man for God's sake, when I, the Almighty and the Most Highest, who created all things out of nothing, humbly subjected Myself to man for your sake? I became of all men the most humble and the most abject, that you might overcome your pride with my humility. O dust! learn to be obedient. Learn to humble yourself, you earth and clay, and to bow yourself down under the feet of all men . . . What do you have, O vain man, to complain of? What can you answer, foul sinner, to them that upbraid you, you who has so often offended God so many times and deserved hell? But Mine eye spared you, because your soul was precious in My sight; that you might know My love, and ever be thankful for My benefits; also that you might continually give yourself to true subjection and humility, and endure patiently the contempt which belongs to you.

No comments: