Saturday, February 16, 2008

Performance Review

So I was thinking the other day. Wouldn't it be kind of neat to sit down for an annual performance review with Jesus? Why do I have to wait until the end of my life to know whether or not I'm going to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant"? It's a little like going from kindergarten through college and not knowing what any of your grades are.

I don't know if this means anything or not, but I was pondering this before work yesterday, and I felt a tug that I needed to grab something from the Word before I left. I was like, okay, well it's the 15th so I'll go to Psalm 15. Turning there I quickly realized this is like my life Psalm. I first felt challenged by it when I went to Longwood Gardens for one of my birthday personal retreats. Scribbled in the margin of my Bible I wrote, "Lord, make me into this kind of man. (5/3/02)."

O LORD, who may abide in Thy tent?
Who may dwell on Thy holy hill?
He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness,
And speaks truth from his heart.
He does not slander with his tongue,
Nor does evil to his neighbor,
Nor takes up a reproach against a friend;
In whose eyes a reprobate is despised
But who honors those who fear the LORD;
He swears to his own hurt, and does not change;
He does not put out his money at interest,
Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
He who does these things will never be shaken.

Almost six years later, I don't know what my "grade" is on this yet. But I know I still want to become unshakable. And maybe that's more important than my grade anyways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks brother.
That is a good, hard reminder. At the challenge of one of the youth group leaders, my first endeavor into time in the Word - on my own - was the book of Psalms. The first time I ever wrote anything down was my 15th time in the Word - chapter 15. Every time God puts it in my path it hits like a hammer and calls for faith to act.

Your ponderings remind me of Lewisonian Wisdom from "Till We Have Faces".

~AWA

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I almost chickened out leaving a comment on your blog since I don't have the talent of sounding really intelligent in my wording. But I have returned to this particular entry several times since I read it first and wanted to let you know that I was really touched by the content. It has opened my eyes to concentrate not on the reward I will get in heaven but to strive for excellence in the Lord here and maintain a positive testimony despite worldly circumstances. I have also forwarded it to a Christian friend here at work with a special gift for encouraging others. This entry is both encouraging and challenging to all who read it. I hope that you realize what an impact you can make writing these blogs.

Jess

Steve Lamp said...

Thank you. I really appreciate the feedback.