Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy St. Valentines Day

This is a repeat post but fittingly it was on my mind today. Happy Valentine's Day.

Because I am as yet weak in love, and imperfect in virtue, I have need to be strengthened and comforted by You; visit me often therefore, and instruct me with all holy discipline. Set me free from evil passions, and heal my heart of all inordinate affections; that being inwardly healed and thoroughly cleansed, I may be ready to love, strong to suffer, steady to persevere.

Love is a great thing, yes, altogether a great good; by itself it makes light every thing that is heavy, and it bears evenly all that is uneven. For it carries a burden which is no burden, and makes every thing that is bitter, sweet and tasteful. The noble love of Jesus drives a man to do great things, and stirs him up to be always longing for what is more perfect. Love wills to be on high, and not to be kept back by anything low and mean. Love wills to be free, and estranged from all worldly affection, so that its inward sight may not be hindered; that it may not be entangled by any temporal prosperity, or by any adversity subdued.

Nothing is sweeter than Love, nothing stronger, nothing higher, nothing wider, nothing more pleasant, nothing fuller nor better in Heaven and earth; because Love is born of God and cannot rest but in God, above all created things. A lover flies, runs and rejoices; he is free, and is not holden. He gives all for all, and has all in all because he rests in One Highest above all things, from whom all that is good flows and proceeds. He respects not the gifts but turns himself above all goods unto the Giver.

Love often knows no measure, but is fervent beyond measure. Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of labors, attempts what is above its strength, pleads no excuse of impossibility; for it thinks all things possible for itself and all things lawful. It is therefore strong for all things, and it completes many things and brings them to effect, where he who does not love faints and lies down. Love is watchful, and sleeping slumbers not. Though wearied it is not tired; though pressed, it is not straitened; though alarmed, it is not confounded; but as a lively flame and burning torch, it forces its way upwards and securely passes through all. If any man love, he knows what is the cry of this voice. For it is a loud cry in the ears of God, that ardent affection of the soul when it says, 'My God, my Love, You are all mine, and I am all Yours.'

Enlarge me in Love, that the inward palate of my heart may learn to taste how sweet it is to love, and in Love to be dissolved and to bathe myself. Let me be holden by Love, mounting above my self, through excessive fervor and wonder. Let me sing the song of Love, let me follow You, my Beloved, on high; let my soul spend itself in Your Praise, rejoicing through Love. Let me love You more than myself, nor love myself but for You; and in You all that truly love You, as the law of Love commands, shining out from Yourself.

Love is swift, sincere, kindly-affectioned, pleasant and delightful; brave, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, manly, and never seeking itself. For where a person seeks himself, there he falls from Love.

Love is circumspect, humble and upright; not yielding to softness, or to lightness, nor attending to vain things; it is sober, chaste, firm, quiet and guarded in all the senses.

Love is subject and obedient to its superiors, to itself mean and despised, unto God devout and thankful, trusting and hoping always in Him, even when God is not sweet unto it: for without sorrow none live in love. He that is not prepared to suffer all things, and to stand to the will of his Beloved, is not worthy to be called a lover. A lover ought to embrace willingly all that is hard and bitter, for the sake of his Beloved; nor for things that fall out against one to turn away from Him. - Thomas A' Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

1 comment:

David Hynes said...

It still doesn't change the fact that Valentine's Day is both lame and made up by a card company :).