Saturday, August 12, 2006

But first . . .

God has really been working on me through this time in facilitating a class on Luke in Kairos. Our small group spent a year in Luke awhile back, and I was concerned I would feel a sense of overfamiliarity, but just the opposite has been true. There have been so many times I've said to myself, "I can't believe I've never seen that before."

This week is on Luke 9:57-62 and talks about how our obedience to following Christ must be considered (i.e. count the cost), immediate and unconditional. The first individual Jesus encounters on his way to Jerusalem is eager to follow and has great intentions but apparently hasn't come to grips with all that it will cost him. His problem seems to have been presumption. The second and third individuals stepped back from giving full and immediate allegiance. Their problem seems to have been procrastination.

It just made me start to ask myself, what has taken priority in my life before following Christ? What do I prioritize before my time with God? No doubt most of these will be good and necessary things. But "good is the enemy of the great."

It's amazing how powerful just a couple words can be: But first. But first let me go bury my father. But first let me say goodbye to everyone back home.

What things are causing me to respond to Jesus' call to follow Him by saying, "But first . . ."

  • The presence of a relationship (or the lack of one)?
  • The presence of an education (or the lack of one)?
  • The presence of a career (or the lack of one)?
  • The presence of a dream (or the lack of one)?

If I am being honest with myself, to what extent am I responding by saying:

  • I would follow you, if it weren't for . . .
  • I would follow you, if only . . .
  • I would follow you, but . . .

We make receiving the one thing we need conditional upon first arranging for a myriad of things we want.

It also struck me that the first person in this episode sought out Jesus. The second one Jesus sought out. I think it just goes to show that it works both ways.

The other question that really struck me from this passage is, "Is it costing you anything?" It seems they all had something they weren't quite ready to give up. It amazes me that Jesus isn't so worried about gaining more followers that he would let them get away without first dealing with the real issues of their heart. We tend to bypass that and try to just get people to say the four laws and a prayer and then think the work is done. I wonder if that is part of why the Church is so scarcely different from the world.

And yet again we encounter the phrase "the kingdom of God." The second individual says "First let me go and bury", but Jesus says to instead "go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God." For a very thorough and revealing treatment of what is meant by the idea of "kingdom of God" I again highly recommend Renovation of the Heart and The Divine Conspiracy, both by Dallas Willard.

It's interesting that we never really get to hear the rest of the story. Did they walk away dejected like the rich, young ruler? Or did they recognize and cast off what hindered them and utlimately respond in immediate, unconditional obedience? More importanly perhaps, which choice do I (we) make?

No comments: