Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Overcoming evil

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke.

I have always loved that quote. I literally feel my blood pressure rise, my body tense up and my fists start to clench when I hear it. It makes me ready for a battle. Which is good. Because we're in one.

Today there was an e-mail that came out from Kairos about collecting items for a back to school drive. I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home and was excited to find packs of crayons and notebooks for as little as 10 cents each. (Some of it was even made in America!) So I was able to pick up some boxes of each.

Maybe I'm being overly idealistic, but it felt like I was part of a striking blow to the forces of evil. With a few crayons and pencils, we push forward the kingdom of God against a broken society. The gates of hell will not prevail against the church, especially not with glue sticks and construction paper in hand.

No comments: