Friday, August 18, 2006

So Mysterious

I was listening to the song "So Mysterious" by Common Children on the way to work this morning, and it made me think of one of my favorite poems by Lord Byron. Since I've caused you to endure some of mine, this is what good poetry looks like.

"Since, oh! whate’er my future fate,
Shall joy or woe my steps await;
Tempted by love, by storms beset,
Thine image I can ne’er forget.
Alas! again no more we meet,
No more former looks repeat;
Then, let me breathe this parting prayer,
The dictate of my bosom’s care:
'May Heaven so guard my lovely quaker,
That anguish never can o’ertake her;
That peace and virtue ne’er forsake her,
But bliss be aye her heart’s partaker!
Oh! may the happy mortal, fated
To be, by dearest ties, related,
For her, each hour, new joys discover,
And lose the husband in the lover!
May that fair bosom never know
What ’tis to feel the restless woe,
Which stings the soul, with vain regret,
Of him, who never can forget!'”

No comments: