Sunday, November 12, 2006

Motivation

Pastor Bo's sermon hit me right between the eyes today. I was wrestling with the matter of my motivation in worship and obedience just this morning. I went into the worship service feeling completely spent. It was one of those rare moments when I just didn't want to be there with all the people and all the singing. If I could have slipped away unnoticed and just been quiet for awhile I think I would have done it. The whole time I was singing I didn't even lift my eyes to the screen and felt my spirit reprimanding me, "The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. (Isaiah 29:13)." Yes, I looked like I had just swallowed a toad that had been sweating profuselt. In short, the only reason I found myself was because I had to be. It felt like taking vitamins; it tastes bad but I know it's good for me so I'll do it.

I need to reconnect with God in my heart. Move away from the broken cistern and drink freely from the fountain.

No comments: