Thursday, June 12, 2008

Breakeven Point

So, I've done the math. If gas goes to $9.25/gallon, I'll start to consider consider getting one of these. At that point, it would take about two years to pay for itself. Though at that point, the Chevy Volt should be in production, and I would lean towards that.

For now, I am thankful that my commute to work is only 10 miles, and I average 30 mpg.

I am a little surprised that Americans are actually making changes in their behavior. More people are taking public transit, carpooling and/or downsizing their cars into something smaller and more fuel efficient. I thought it would take a little bit longer than it has but it seems that $4/gallon may be the tipping point. What do you know, free markets actually work.

I still hold to what I said a year ago about $4 gas, though it has become more clear that ethanol (at least grain based ethanol) is ultimately not the answer among alternative fuels.

Now, about that proposed offshore windfarm in Delaware . . .

1 comment:

Chappie said...

SO what is your opinion on the wind power possiblity? do you think legislation will sing the bill or is it dead? Also if you bought ahouse would you install solar panels?