Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Almost There

Well, I now have a working phone line and I received the components for my DSL, but I am still waiting for someone at Verizon to flip the switch and activate my service. (I'm writing this on my lunch break.) I don't really understand how that works and how it can take several weeks for something latently available in a telecommunications system to be tested and activated.

It reminds me of a commercial I saw years ago for an auto parts store. A guy drops off his car at the mechanic's shop and rides by it day after day on the bus wondering when it will be repaired. After a couple calls asking when it will be ready, the mechanic replies "I've got my best guys on it right now." The camera pans outside and three large guys are literally sitting or lying on the car eating their lunch.

No comments: