Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Be Quiet

The last couple days I have been listening to NPR and CNBC in the background at work, but by late in the afternoon today I had to shut it off. I am so sick of all the cantankerous debate on social issues and the shortsighted nature of the financial markets. It made the disciplines of silence and solitude that we have been reviewing in Kairos all the more appealing. Sometimes it's good to shut out all the noise of the world and realize that all the things that are being so hotly debated and fiercely contested are not what makes the world go round.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was waiting for you to see the light. I haven't watched the news or listened to ANYTHING related to that stuff since I came to college, and I consider my life better for it.

Every once in a while, I pick up a News Journal, read it, and realize the world hasn't changed. The Sunnis and Shiites still hate each other, Somebody won a basketball game, and the presence of the Marketplace in the Newspaper puzzles me.

When something BIG happens, like start another war, I'll pick up where I left off. But for now, there's nothing to report.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for both of you! I've been practicing the art of ignoring the crazy media for a long time....I don't seem too much worse for the wear, though I suppose others could argue that point!