Thursday, August 23, 2007

Struck Again By The Imitation

The Voice of the Beloved.

As I of Mine own will did offer up Myself unto God the Father for your sins, My hands stretched out on the cross, and My body stripped bare, so that nothing remained in Me that was not wholly turned into a sacrifice of divine propitiation; in like manner you ought also to offer yourself willingly unto Me every day in the Mass, as a pure and sacred oblation, with all your powers and affections , unto the utmost strength of your soul.

What do I require of you more, than that you study to resign yourself entirely unto Me? Whatsoever you give besides yourself, I regard not; for I seek not your gift, but you. As it would not suffice you to have all things whatsoever, besides Me; so neither can it please Me, whatsoever you give, if you do not offer yourself. Offer up yourself unto Me, and give yourself wholly for God, and your oblation shall be accepted. Behold, I offered up Myself wholly unto My Father for you; I gave also My whole Body and Blood for your food, that I might be wholly yours, and that you might continue Mine to the end. But if you stand upon yourself, and do not offer yourself freely unto My will, the oblation is not complete, neither will there be entire union between us.

Therefore a free-will oblation of yourself into the hands of God ought to go before all your works, if you desire to obtain liberty and grace. For this is the cause why so few become illuminated and inwardly free, because they know not how to wholly deny themselves.

My sentence stands sure, Unless a man forsake all, he cannot be My disciple. If you therefore desire to be My disciple, offer up yourself unto Me with all your affections.

~ Thomas A Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

No comments: