Saturday, September 22, 2007

Seeing What Isn't There

I love it when someone makes an observation that forces me to rethink my position or understanding of things, especially when it is something from Scripture. This came to mind last night when I was reading The Way of the Wild Heart. Elderidge makes a comment "Notice that in the tales told in Scripture, whenever God gets hold of a man, he takes that man into an adventure of the first order . . . Peter called out of the boat to Christ in a raging storm." Here's the thing though. Christ didn't exactly command Peter to come out of the boat; he acquiesced to Peter's request for a sign. (Matthew 14:27-31). Then, this morning it was pointed out to me that God's promise of a son to Abraham was not explicitly given to Sarah until after the birth of Ishmael. I could have sworn it was given to both of them initially, but there's no indication of that. Sarah is not explicitly promised a son until Ishmael is already 13 years old. (Genesis 17.)

Now, of course, all this does not necessarily mean that Elderidge's statement is wrong, and certainly we know from the rest of Scripture that Isaac is to be the son of the covenant. It's interesting though, isn't it, how we see things that aren't actually there? Many thanks to my friend who shared these observations with me.

"Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

David said...

That's like people saying that the forbidden fruit was an apple. I remember as a kid flipping furiously through Genesis to find evidence that it was in fact an apple when by Boys Brigade leader told me it was otherwise. He was quite right; the Bible never specifies what the fruit was.