Saturday, October 06, 2007

Rules of the Forward

I have a few simple rules I would like to recommend to everyone in the universe regarding e-mail forwards. Please consider the following.
  1. Never send a forward. Yes, I know, you want to be the one who saves the world against people who want to take Touched By An Angel and all televised sermons off the air because they mention God, or you want to share an inspiring story of heroism to everyone you know. But if everyone followed this simple piece of advice, the world would be a better place.
  2. If you refuse to follow rule #1, at least check the facts for accuracy before proceeding to hit send. Go to Snopes.com and filter it through their collection of urban legends and other myths. This little rule would probably cut out 90% of spam forwards.
  3. Never send a forward to a mass distribution list, like say, the Kairos list. If you really want to tell the world about it, put it on your blog. If you don't have a blog, start one.

1 comment:

Quebecca said...

Yes, I recently quit the Kairos list (partly because I'm not there) because of this type of thing. My inbox was getting spammed. I was just deleting everything before reading it.