Tuesday, October 02, 2007

We're Men. It's What We Do.

What's the first image that came to mind when you read that statement? What was the "It" in question that flashed before your imagination? Was it of something negative, perhaps belching, farting and scratching? Something more negative like going to Hooters and getting into a drunken fight? Possibly something worse?

Or was it something positive? Like having a door held open for you, your heavy groceries carried for you, or a seat offered in a crowded place? Perhaps having someone to defend you?

I am still reading through Elderidge's most recent book, and in it he recounts a scene form the Western Open Range:

Typical of westerns and their mythic simplicity, the town has been overtaken by bad guys, as John says the world lies under the power of the Evil One (1 John 5:19). The crooks have installed their own sheriff, and hired gunslingers to frighten the citizens into submission. Two cowboys come to town to get some justice for the murder of their comrade, and the near murder of a boy they have befriended. In the saloon, they try to rouse the men of the town into action. One of the local tradesmen says, "It's a shame what this town's come to," to which one of the cowboys replies, "You could do something about it." "What?" the frightened man replies. "We're freighters. Ralph's a shopkeeper." Then my favorite line: "You're men, ain't ya?" The assumption being that whatever else a man might be, he ought to be a fighter.


I was kind of wrestling with that statement, not completely convinced of its validity. And then, in curious timing, I read something on Paula's blog that really seemed to speak to this very question. She is retelling the story of a nightmare she had dreamed and notes:

When we drove up, Steve was parked outside in a white pick-up truck. This is especially odd since Steve drives a Saturn. I sent Melissa in to get fries and a table while I stayed out to talk to Steve. However, in my dream I didn't talk to Steve, there was like a total scene skip and then Steve wasn't in the dream anymore. (Despite the fact that I wish he had been because he's a good friend plus a man and this situation ended up getting scary.)


Fascinating, isn't it? Here is a serendipitous and uniquely personal validation of a concept I was wrestling with. Here my friend wanted me around because (a) I'm a friend (b) I'm a man and (c) things are about to get scary. Instinctively, I love it and could scarcely hope for a better compliment.

An interesting question could be raised at this point along the lines of "What should women be able to expect from men? " (And vice versa.) I would say that every woman should have the right to expect nobility, courage, and honest strength from a man. I would also add though, that while it should be expected, it should never be taken for granted when it is received or witnessed.

3 comments:

Snoyarc said...

I'm fortunate to have several good male friends in my life whom I am certain would defend me, protect me, carry heavy groceries (and some of them do on a regular basis), and on the more gentle and less obvious side... befriend my children and be a role model for my son. I completely agree, women want and need to expect these things from a man, at least this woman does!

That said, I appreciate each and every kind act from one of these friends and thank them for each one, usually with a hug and the words "Thank You" but sometimes with gifts or baked goods as well (I also know eating is something men tend to do).

Thank you for writing this, it's good to read something like this from a male perspective.

Hugs & Love

David said...

In my experience, men are something women take for granted. I think that the days where men were "useful" in their purest form have somewhat waned; you don't have bears attacking your homestead, or lots of physical labor to do, or anything like that anymore. With the exception of maybe burglars or something. I don't think that men are in their element in the city, where probably the most difficult thing that happens on any kind of regular basis is driving in gridlock.

As a result of living in an environment where people can get along regardless of sex, I think that there is a kind of perception that the male is outdated.

If you're a woman and reading this blog, don't take men for granted. You do two things when that happens; you shoot yourself in the foot when you want a good man to have a relationship with, and you will be very humbled if a day comes when you're in a situation only a man could solve...

David said...

I'm a fighter through and through. That's why God also made me a softie who cries about everything and only 5'7 or whatever not-6'-tall height I am :P. Otherwise, I'd probably be a bully.

It's what I fight against that I need to be careful of.